Sunday, September 6, 2009

novel H1N1 or the dreaded Swine Flu

Daily there is news on the H1N1. I keep hearing Swine Flu although that has been "stricken" from the medical community's vocabulary. Last spring several porcine beasts met their death due to lack of understanding about the H1N1. Now we call it H1N1 or novel H1N1 or Influenza A...luckily there is no "novel" or H1N1 to massacre.

There is no vaccine for the H1N1 as of yet. Trials are happening now, but nothing for the general public (I am not sure I would want to be a guinea pig for a trial vaccine). I hear that when ready there will be two or three shots. (yes, shots) More than likely it will be ready in late October, but from what I have been reading the H1N1 is to peak in October, so, I am not sure if the vaccine will make it in time for the worst flu outbreaks. We shall see soon.

At the school district where I work we are diligently reminding everyone, even students, to wash their hands and cover their mouths when they cough or sneeze. We are also ready with face masks and goggles for first aid providers. I hope we don't have to use them!

At my daughter's school, Truman State, they have already had an H1N1 outbreak. I saw a photo of Truman State flash by on a news piece at ABC World News Tonight. What I think is good is that so far the H1N1 has been mild. Of course we should do all we can to minimize the spread because those who are vulnerable might not have a mild case. Those who have problems are children between 5 years and 17 years and have some neurological problems (CP, Muscular Dystrophy, etc.). Pregnant women seem to also be vulnerable to complications from the H1N1.

So Keep on washing your hands, using hand sanitizer (keep it away from toddlers and small children if it has alcohol in it), covering your mouth when coughing or sneezing and avoiding others with the flu, if you can. Eat healthy, keep hydrated and get plenty of rest! I am a mom, after all.
God Bless!

No comments: